I ran into a problem with my Rails 4 server. My $(document).ready() was not being called. After digging around a bit I found it was because of turbolinks. Turbolinks makes your webpage load faster because it updates the head and body when you click on a link, so it doesn’t have to reprocess the javascript. The problem is that the onload for the document is not triggered, which means that this breaks jQuery’s $(document).ready().

The easiest solution is to use jquery.turbolinks


gem 'jquery-turbolinks'


//= require jquery
//= require jquery.turbolink
//= require jquery_ujs
//= require turbolinks
//= require_tree .

This update the jQuery so that $(document).ready() will also register to turbolink’s page:load event. Now everything should be working normally.